I have a new project for a client, and i realize that my favorite part of this work is the problem-solving.  This crib quilt has embroidered information on the back, documenting the names of the owner, her great grandmother who made the top, and her mother who quilted it.  With much love and use, the back of the quilt is very worn and weak.  We decided to put a new back on it, to cover holes and stains and stabilize the whole thing.  The challenge was to let her mother’s embroidery still show.  A “window” is the solution.  Here is today’s work:

I pinned the new back onto the back of the quilt around the words – Next, i cut away the new fabric to reveal the embroidery –

The edges are folded under about 1/4 inch and hand-stitched with 100% cotton thread. I added a running stitch all the way around to give it more stability.  Below is the finished “window”…  

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Quilt Repair as a Challenge

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s